At the San Antonio Human Society, their stated goal is to protect and improve the lives of dogs and cats by providing shelter, care, adoption, rescue, spay/neuter programs, and community education. For anyone who shares their passion for pets, there are plenty of ways to volunteer at the shelter.
The shelter seeks volunteers who are at least 18 years old to choose a specific area of interest and then register electronically for an upcoming orientation. Here are some volunteer needs with a brief description of each job:
- Adoption Team: helps with general administrative tasks like answering and returning phone calls, responding to emails, greeting guests, and scanning or filing paperwork. Volunteers might also assist the staff at adoption events.
- Animal Behavior & Enrichment Team: works to help provide training and enrichment to the shelter pets, and can help the resident pets learn basic obedience skills.
- Animal Care Team: assists with the daily care, cleaning, and feeding of shelter pets, and spends quality time with the pets once the cleaning is done.
- Animal Health Team: helps the medical staff with the daily care, cleaning, and feeding of pets that are not yet ready for adoption.
- Community Outreach Team: works to engage with the community by setting up and managing information booths, helping with group volunteer opportunities, and leading campus tours.
- Development & Donor Relations Team: helps to make sure donors receive personalized thank-yous with phone calls and letters.
- Dog Walking Team: makes sure resident pets get at least one long walk each day.
- Education Team: helps lead campus tours and assists certified humane education specialists with Camp Humane and the Tales for Tails reading program.
- Public Relations Team: supports the public relations staff with media appearances, photography, videography, and graphic design.
Veterinary Technician/Assistant Program
For individuals who are interested in a career as a veterinary technician or similar job, the Veterinary Technician/Assistant Program is ideal. It is open to people what are at least 18 years old and who are planning to enroll or are already enrolled in a veterinary technician/assistant program. The sessions are limited to 15 participants and last a total of three months. During this time, students can get valuable experience needed for their particular program. Volunteer opportunities are available in the clinic and surgery areas and include direct animal, customer service, and administrative jobs.
You might also like: Look No Further Than Hyundai For The Best Family Vehicle
President’s Volunteer Service Award
The President’s Volunteer Service Award is a prestigious award given by the President of the United States in recognition of volunteer service. It honors those who have demonstrated a sustained commitment to volunteer service over the course of a 12-month period. The San Antonio Humane Society (SAHS) can nominate potential recipients of this award and distribute it to those who meet or exceed its criteria.